Poncho Baby Community and Breastfeeding Tips August 24, 2018 13:17 1 Comment
My breastfeeding experience thought me the importance of community, support and determination.
Before I had our first baby, I read many books and went to pre-natal breastfeeding classes. I thought that breastfeeding would come naturally to me. When the baby was born, I was very lucky to breastfeed her as soon as I saw her. She seemed to latch on correctly. I received a brief breastfeeding consultation at the hospital and rented a breast pump to take home. I thought that I knew it all and was ready for the breastfeeding experience.
Unfortunately, our daughter got jaundice in the first week and she kept losing weight even though I was breastfeeding her every two hours. I almost lost all my milk before she was only four weeks old. My mom helped me as much as she could but she did not have breastfeeding experience.
I panicked and decided that I needed help and support; otherwise, I would not be able to breastfeed my baby. I reached out to friends and to the breastfeeding community. I was very lucky to have found an amazing breastfeeding consultant who identified my issue. She taught me how to latch the baby correctly and how to increase my milk production. I started pumping and breastfeeding at the same time. After an exhausting month, I was able to get my milk back and my baby started growing fast.
The breastfeeding journey is different for each mom. I always encourage pregnant moms to reach out to a lactation consultant and create a community before the baby comes. In this way, it is easy to find support during the first few months, which is a decisive period to have a successful breastfeeding experience.
These my breastfeeding tips:
- Enjoy the special bonding with your baby
- Create a breastfeeding community by supporting other moms
- Have a group or private lactation consultant session after you have your baby
- Get a good breastfeeding pump. Check and clean it before the baby comes
- Start pumping after the first month. It is good to start storing some breastmilk and to get the baby use to the bottle.
- Use nipple cream few weeks before you have the baby.
- Drink water, tea or juices.
- Have a breastfeeding pump bra
We have included breastfeeding tips for our Poncho Baby community below. Thank you for sharing your tips in our blog comments.
- @mrs_knarr:In the beginning it can be tough but baby and mommy are both learning about one another and this will help you build a strong bond. Your body can do amazing things such as breastfeeding! All the benefits such as the immunity you are able to pass to your child and just knowing your body can nourish theirs... It’s amazing what women can do!
- @mirasolalife:Always drink a glass of water while feeding. Helps keep your water intake up and be patient while the milk comes in.
- @hollleerback:Drinking 100% pineapple juice helps with inflammation and makes the first few weeks easier!
- @only_mianicole:Be patient with yourself and baby. This is a learning process for the both of you guys. It can be hard at first but very beneficial once you get the hang of it.
- @erika_troy_4ever:Always burp baby after feeding!
- @amy.hawkins.17:Take deep breaths during those frustrating moments and drink LOTS of water!
- @krissymom_of_4:Always make sure you have a good latch or you will be sorry! Don’t let your baby be lazy or it will hurt!
- @heathersmith10416:As they get older it takes longer because they get distracted so easilyeasy.
- @runnercov:Always keep your boppy and burp cloths near!
- @beloved_bonds: Find breastfeeding support through online communities before your baby arrives and take it one moment at a time.
- @krashlee:pumping is necessary sometimes, and sometimes it's the only option due to medical reasons, but that doesn't make it any less magical. Your milk is beautiful in any form for your baby.
We think these tips will help expectant and nursing moms to have a better experience. Keep in mind that all bodies are different and you might find different tips that work better for you and your baby.
Breastfeeding Essentials Giveaway July 31, 2017 05:22
Breastfeeding Essentials Giveaway
Valued over $460, this amazing package includes the best breastfeeding product essentials for moms with a suite of unique products to celebrate World Breastfeeding Week.
1. Poncho Baby Nursing Cover
Soft, stylish and eco-friendly, our award-winning Poncho Baby® Nursing Cover was invented by a mom of two. It has a patented design (U.S. Pat. No. 9,380,815) and is made in the USA with 100% cotton muslin and organic cotton. Our unique Nursing Cover has a flexible neckline that allows mom to see the baby directly and provides a back coverage. Super breathable muslin cotton with soothing colors for mom and baby. It’s a must-have for moms on the go since it can be used as a stroller cover, car seat canopy and more. Poncho Baby Organic Nursing Cover
2. Ardo Manual Pump - Amaryll
Product description: "The Amaryll handle attaches three ways for the perfect, ergonomic way to pump right or left-handed. Amaryll is an efficient, easy-to-use and comfortable option when you need to pump on the go. Like our electric pumps, Amaryll does not "let go" of your nipple for added comfort and effectiveness. Includes three breast shell/flange sizes (26mm, 28mm, 31mm) plus the Optiflow (26mm) soft silicone breast massage insert.
3. Rumina - SEAMLESS BRA
Rumina’s Hands-Free Seamless Pump&Nurse all-in-one Nursing Bra is the perfect foundation to support a moms unique and beautiful pregnancy and breastfeeding relationship. Moms don’t have to buy a “special” pumping “bra,” Rumina’s Pump&Nurse Bra can be worn as a maternity bra then transition for breastfeeding as a nursing bra with a built-in pumping bra. Rumina’s Pump&Nurse bras and tanks work with all breast pumps and have been used by 10’s of 1,000’s of busy moms who want to comfortably give their very best. Rumina Seamless Bra
Pump and Nurse
4. Belabumbum: V-Neck Nursing Dress
Pretty top stitched V-neckline and midi length make this dress a must-have for before and after baby. When you're ready to nurse, just release the shoulder snaps and lift the lining for convenient and discreet breastfeeding access. Made to mix and match with the pieces from our New Mama Essentials.
Belabumbum V-Neck Nursing Dress
5. Silverette silver nursing cups
SILVERETTE ® are small cups crafted out of pure 925 silver that fit over and help to protect nipples while breastfeeding. Silver is a natural antimicrobial, antifungal, and antibacterial metal that also contains anti-inflammatory agents. It heals and prevents cuts, wounds, cracks, soreness, and infections.
Product value $59.90
6. Simple Wishes Signature Hands Free Pumping Bra
The Simple Wishes Signature hands-free pumping bra gives mom the valuable gift of time by freeing up her hands for other tasks or to simply relax while using her breastpump. And the patented design is adjustable in size to sustain a perfect fit over time as a nursing mother’s size changes! Simple Wishes Signature Hands Free Pumping Bra
7. Poncho Baby Washcloths
Soft as mother's touch to keep baby clean. Babies get messy! But we love to get them clean with these organic washcloths. They’re made in the USA using soft, 100% organic cotton muslin imported, and they only get softer and softer with each washing – perfect for Baby’s delicate skin. Sold in sets of five; choose from girl-themed colors, boy-themed colors or neutral. These also make terrific napkins for Baby’s mealtime.
Poncho Baby Washcloths
8. 12Little Diaper Clutch in pewter
When you simply need diaper changing essentials when going out with your baby, our 12little Clutch is the perfect match for you! The clutch comes with a small detachable mesh zipper pouch and our 12 animal logo lining changing pad for your easy diaper changing experience. Inside the clutch, a large slip pocket can store the changing pad or 3-4 diapers. On the other side of the clutch, the two elastic bands can hold a baby wipe case and more diapers if needed. This clutch is made with quilted water-resistant coated soft polyester. Simply carry it in your bag, or as a clutch using the leather handle. It comes with a detachable long strap so it can be worn as a crossbody for your convenience.
12Little Diaper Clutch in Pewter
Value - $75.00
9. Milkies Milk-Saver and Milk Trays
Milkies Milk-Saver collects leaking milk while you breastfeed. Easy to use, you stay dry and maximize your milk storage. Milkies Milk Trays freezes your milk in convenient 1 ounce sticks. Simplify milk storage with this durable and Earth friendly tray.